If you are planning to go skitouring or snowshoeing, you should be aware of these 10 tips for a nature-compatible winter trip.
1. Stay on the recommended routes: signs from the German Alpine Club’s (DAV) Naturally on Tour campaign (Natürlich auf Tour) indicate sensitive areas.
2. Respect protected areas and wildlife zones; avoid making noise.
3. Whenever possible, avoid all contact with wild animals, do only observe them from a distance. Avoid feeding sites. Keep dogs on a leash.
4. In midwinter, avoid peaks and ridges before 10 a.m. and after 4 p.m.
5. Stay on forest roads and marked paths in forested areas and at the tree line; keep a distance from isolated groups of trees and shrubs.
6. Preserve reforestation areas and young forests.
7. Use environmentally-friendly transportation: public transport or car sharing; use marked parking areas; do not block driveways.
8. Plan multi-day trips rather than taking multiple day trips; eat locally.
9. Plan tours with guide books and maps that are certified by the DAV.
10. Ski touring within ski resort boundaries: respect the rules (german)!